Contrarian Hoosier Joel Monka Explains Why He Loves U*U

Meanwhile, over in the Unitarian*Universalist Issues Beliefnet forum, contrarian Hoosier U*U Joel Monka presents this ringing endorsement of U*Uism. . .

Yes, I also found old-line humanists with spittle-flying fulminations against "God-talk". . . but I also found other members who would bring things in to church that they thought might interest me. I have since been to enough other congregations to know how lucky I was to find just what I needed at my first visit. . . but I also know that although many U*U congregations would not have suited me, there is no possibility that any other denomination could have. And in the end, that is what I love about U*U: whether it be despite or because of the abysmal leadership, it has enough looseness around the edges to allow a bunch of contrarian Hoosiers to create exactly the congregation I needed, the congregation no other denomination would tolerate. That alone is enough for me to love U*U.

Comments